The birth of a poem...

The essence of very tiny detail, like a carefully placed comma, or an invisible sigh of admiration, distilled into dewdrops sliding over the long green leaves that protect tulips from overexposure, redeeming the beautiful bold color and adding a dimension of its own.

Then letting it go into thin air, like a weightless particle,arriving in far-away places, like a carefully thought-out idea, a blissful singular event, a flash of infinitesimal brightness, arriving at noon, completely negating shadows and at the same time completely absolving them.

The reign of calm arrived with these words and it is here to stay...



Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Lion Roams the Streets


The lion escaped from his cage in the zoo. He was seen near the Dome.
There’s panic in town. Everyone’s advised to stay at home.

And the lion marches proudly through the back streets
Watching the clean laundry hanging in the air
Turning to the other side, seeing a group of children
Doing just what the teacher told them to do.
Looking at the sky that’s about to hunt him down
With tears from the clouds. Lions have hearts, too.

Do you raise your gun? Do you scream in fear?
Do you believe in human compassion?
Can you be fooled by a tear?

Another hopeless case would kill me.
Yet I hear the world is dying too.
I know the world, though, it’s a tough one
Won’t go down that easily.
Just because someone let it down.
Will I be able to hang on?

There’s a hot air balloon gliding through the air.
And I think of all the inflated egos of the world.
And then a thought of you beats them all away
Like a horn, it ruptures my own balloon. Sad and pathetic
Like all things torn.

Watch me fall. Catch me. Then throw me away.
The Earth is another ball.
I’m tired of it all.
Thrill me. Hit me. I’ll stand still.
Kill me. I’ll fall.

They captured the lion and put him back into the cage.
He was trapped by the remnants of the balloon by the dome.
And there was no need to tame his rage
As he just stood there, dignified, silent, waiting for the clouds to go home.

No comments: