The birth of a poem...

The essence of very tiny detail, like a carefully placed comma, or an invisible sigh of admiration, distilled into dewdrops sliding over the long green leaves that protect tulips from overexposure, redeeming the beautiful bold color and adding a dimension of its own.

Then letting it go into thin air, like a weightless particle,arriving in far-away places, like a carefully thought-out idea, a blissful singular event, a flash of infinitesimal brightness, arriving at noon, completely negating shadows and at the same time completely absolving them.

The reign of calm arrived with these words and it is here to stay...



Sunday, August 16, 2009

Belonging


I saw a kite flying over the rooftops
I followed it with my eyes envious of its freedom
No hand holding the end of the string
It was flying loose, relishing its freedom
Anyway it choose
Filling my eyes with wonder
As it flew away beyond sight
The dream began to unfold.

My thoughts are like kites
They travel a long way
Begging me for their freedom.
I let go reluctantly, somewhat furiously,
They’ll go a long way
To the places I have never been
To the places my eyes would like to have seen
They’ll capture theattention of someone
A dreamer like me
He will remember his youth, his past
His future, recorded in the laments of sadness
Of lands so close yet so far
Lands that spell honey and blood
In the name that tells you all you need to know
About the peculiar essence
He feels the essential, the unknown, the unseen
Only too well, black and white and in between
Joy in the sorrow
Believing in tomorrow
That will come releasing the black curse
Hanging over these beautiful lands
Like a giant shadow of a threatening dragon kite.

A release of white magic
Cutting the strings of destiny
Letting the kites fly away
Making each day your own
Long or short as long as it is from the heart
When the thought is pure, noble and just
It’s fueled like a rocket
No stopping that kite
From arriving home where it belongs.

My dreams are elongated shadows of the trees
Looking out from the balcony
I can see the red gleam on the western hills
The tired summer sun going gracefully down
A whispered thought from far away reaches me
Over mountains, rivers, seas…
The very same thought…
Because when you dream, you belong
And you speak the same language
And it is easy to see
To believe
To cut distances…

I whisper back..now we belong.
We believe in tomorrow
Freedom’s call has never been so sweet
In its quiet liberation, in its serene release…
Kites lost in free space.
Smaller than dots…
…and that’s only the beginning,
The circle squares the meaning of belief,
The concept of ending is happily lost.
Signed off against the cost of dreams….

2 comments:

Jumoke said...

Hello Biljana,

I've followed your blog for some time now. I would be at the Struga Poetry Night as a participant and would like to meet you.

Best.

BILJANA said...

Thank you for your kind words and the announcement.
Unfortunately I will not be attending Struga Poetry Evenings this year (maybe you've seen my recent blog post where I explain about the publication of my first book, so I am busy..)

I live in Skopje, the capital of Macedonia, and I believe all the participants get to visit my city for a day...

If that's the case, please let me know.
If not, have a wonderful time in my country and in the town of Poetry!

regards,
Biljana